Unfortunately, as finals weeks approaches I will not have time to blog weekly. Because I had to extend one blog into two in the past, I am going to give a brief crunch of college life in this week’s post. At some point I hope to revisit these post and go into more detail about certain aspects but for now here is a rundown regarding how my college career went.

So came college; my first two years at university were great for the most part at least, I had the opportunity for a fresh start socially and the chance to be a new me, that is just what I did. Freshman and sophomore year I made many friends and was having a great time, that is until I started feeling sick all of the time in the spring of my sophomore year… come to find out that my kidney disease had reached its breaking point. I was told that I had finally entered the final stage of kidney disease and needed to have surgery to place a fistula in my arm, in order to prepare for dialysis. I Continued trying to go to school but I had reached the point to where I could not stop being sick and had no energy, In light of everything that was going on I had to leave school in order to become familiar with the new life that I was going to have become accustomed to for the next three years of my life.

My New Kidney !!!!

Dialysis took a lot out of me. It was painful, time consuming, made me feel sick, and became the part of my day that I dreaded most. Though dialysis was rough, as soon as I became accustomed to the process I jumped right back into school. I was determined to finish no matter what life threw at me. Juggling dialysis with school and work was quite difficult, not to mention the doctor’s appointments as well. I had to fight my university for financial aid because they didn’t think that dialysis was a sufficient treatment, they inquired that I needed to receive a transplant before reinstating my aid. I was not taking no for an answer, I didn’t see why I should have to put my life on hold for the next 3+ years while waiting for a kidney transplant. All of the obstacles that I had to endure because of this illness have required me to move at a slower pace and take longer in university, but luckily today I can say that I have 12 days left in my undergraduate career.

This past July I finally received my Kidney transplant and it has allowed me to enter this final quarter of my college career with a new found energy and hopefulness for what the future has in store. I look forward to what life has in store for me next now that I once again have the opportunity to live a more normal life, at least normal for me.